How to Sell a Car at a Dealership
Are you trying to sell your Honda Civic near Painesville, OH? Perhaps you need to sell a model from some other manufacturer before you move into the Honda of your dreams. But where can you sell your car? How does selling your car to a dealership work? Why should you sell your car to a Honda dealer in the first place? We’ve laid out the six basic steps that any driver can rely on when selling a car in Ohio, and we’ve also shown why drivers who want to sell a car in the buckeye state so often turn to Honda of Mentor!
How to Sell a Car in Ohio
Have you determined that it’s time to sell? We’d love to buy your used car, and we’re willing to do everything in our power to ensure that you drive home to Willoughby or Eastlake with a smile. Before you start browsing our new and used inventories, find out how to sell a car at a dealership like our own:
- Clean your vehicle and fix small issues. Although you shouldn’t spend your time and money performing major repairs on your vehicle, topping off your service fluids and filling in small cracks can make a real impact on your bottom line. Interior and exterior detailing are also recommended; you want your used car to look as close to new as possible.
- Make a list of your vehicle’s unique features. Anything that makes your vehicle stand out could lead to a higher return. When selling a car in Ohio, it’s especially important to collect your maintenance records and show that your vehicle has been well cared-for. You should also make a list of any advanced features, accessories, or modifications that distinguish your vehicle.
- Have your vehicle’s title or your lender’s information ready. If you’re trading in a car that’s been completely paid off, you should bring the title with you when you visit the dealership to sell your car. Still paying off your loan? The lender probably has the title, and we can do the work of acquiring it for you.
- Research your vehicle’s value. Now that you’ve done what you can to get ready to sell, it’s time to ensure that you get every penny that your vehicle is worth. Explore trusted industry sources on current market prices—like those compiled by Edmunds or Kelley Blue Book. Then, take advantage of our trade-in valuation tool to get a sense of what your model may actually be worth! It’s a good idea to get multiple estimates and hold onto any offer that you receive.
- Schedule an appraisal. No trade-in takes place without an appraisal, and if you want to sell your car to our Honda dealership, you’ll need to stop in during our open hours or contact us to make an appointment. The latter option will help you save time, as we’ll be able to prepare all of the necessary paperwork before you arrive. You’ll be greeted by our used car manager, who will go over all the details of the process.
- Receive your offer. Following the appraisal, our specialist will make you an offer. Although many used car buyers will not allow you to negotiate, you can absolutely negotiate at Honda of Mentor! This is where your offer letters and estimates will come in handy. If you like your offer, you can accept cash or apply the value to any of the vehicles on our lot.
Benefits of Selling Your Car to a Dealership
Still not sure of where to sell your car? For many, this question boils down to a single detail: should you sell your car to a Honda dealer or try to sell it on your own? There are several good reasons to take the next steps with our team:
- Reduce Your Tax Costs: Trading in a car is a smarter idea than selling it by yourself, especially if you want to pay less in taxes. Most dealerships in most states will deduct the value of your trade-in from the new vehicle’s price before they calculate the tax burden, potentially saving you hundreds of dollars or more.
- Save Time and Energy: Selling your car on your own can take weeks or even months, but selling your car at a dealership will probably take you less than a few hours’ time. Although selling your car online might seem even easier, the truth is that just about everyone benefits by selling at a location where negotiation is possible and appraisal rules out uncertainty.
- Save on Your Next Vehicle: If you’re looking to move into a new or used Honda, learning how to sell your car at a dealership is one of the easiest ways to reduce your monthly costs.
Sell Your Car to Honda of Mentor!
If you’re ready to claim one of our rotating new vehicle specials or discounted pre-owned models, it’s a good idea to get in touch today! We make selling a car in Ohio as easy as it can be—and we’re here to help with your next steps, too! We’re easy to reach from anywhere near Painesville, but drivers regularly come from all over the state to take advantage of our expertise. Once you’ve gotten your offer, you can even shop and buy online. If you still have questions about where to sell your car, and why Honda of Mentor is the right choice, don’t hesitate to reach out.
More from Honda of Mentor
Honda has started to tease information on the all-new 2023 Honda HR-V redesign—and we know that Painesville and Willoughby drivers are waiting on the edges of their seats for final specs and details! Although there’s still a lot that remains hidden, we couldn’t wait to share everything that we know so far! Photos of…
Mentor drivers have a ton of choices when it comes to the 2022 Honda Accord configurations. Did you know there are nine Honda Accord trims to choose from, including four hybrid trims? But which of the new Honda Accord trim levels is best suited for your needs? Let’s take a closer look at the…
Just about any driver will tell you the same thing: picking out your favorite interior and exterior colors is one of the most exciting parts of buying a new vehicle. Whether you configure and order a model from the factory or you’re scouring local dealerships near Painesville and Willoughby, you’ll find plenty to love…